Sunday 13 December 2009

New Tryptykon songs: first thoughts


Well I have been waiting to hear some new music from Mr Warrior's new project for ages and on first listen these two new cuts don't disappoint. As anyone who knows me will attest to, I think Monotheist is fucking awesome and if I was picking an album of the decade it would be probably be this. By the way, I'm not doing a top 20 or 40 or whatever of the decade as it would take months - doing albums of the year is time consuming enough! Anyway I am only listening to these songs a couple of times as I want to take the new album in as a whole when it is released in the spring. I find when you listen to advance tracks too much then they 'stand out' when you hear the whole album.

Anyway, Tom G Warrior has said these songs continue in the vein of Monotheist and would have been used as the follow up to that album. Of these two cuts, the first 'Abyss Within My Soul' is a massive sprawling dirge, earth-shatteringly heavy with Tom's familiar time-wearied growls immediately sending shivers up the spine. It's very reminiscent of Monotheist but straying closer to pure doom in the riffing than any songs from the Frost swansong.

The second new song, 'A Thousand Lies' harks back to classic Frost with it's proto-BM riffing, 'ugh' laced middle section and aggressive vocals. It's a shorter cut and the most in-your-face spleeing venting we have heard from the great man in years. Oh, and it's absolutely killer. Roll on the new album in Spring 2010!

(http://www.myspace.com/triptykonofficial).

No comments:

Post a Comment