Monday 14 December 2009

A look back at 2008's Top 20 albums

In December last year I posted a top 20 albums on the Into The Void myspace and in advance of picking my 2009 top albums I thought I would have a look back at last year's picks and see how regularly I spin these records. So last year's list looked like this:

1. Grand Magus – Iron Will
2. Hail of Bullets – Of Frost and War
3. Coffins – Buried Death
4. Amon Amarth – Twilight of the Thunder God
5. Unearthly Trance – Electrocution
6. Erab Altor – By Honour
7. Aura Noir – Hades Arise
8. Thou – Peasant
9. Portrait – Portrait
10. Lair of the Minotaur – War Battle Metal Master
11. Funeral – As The Light Does The Shadow
12. Darkthrone – Dark Thrones and Black Flags
13. The Gates of Slumber – Conqueror
14. Cult of Luna – Eternal Kingdom
15. Capricorns – River Bear Your Bones
16. Ihsahn – Angl
17. Satyricon – The Age of Nero
18. Metallica - Death Magnetic
19. Opeth - Watershed
20. AC/DC – Black Ice

Out of those Grand Magus I still listen to quite regularly, it's an absolute killer. Also Gates of Slumber's 'Conqueror' I have revisted regularly in tandem with this year's release from them. It's one of those albums that makes more sense when considered in the canon of the band's work. The new album is much more consistent though and will no doubt be making an appearance in this year's top 20. Hail of Bullets I blasted to death in 2008 but have not revisited in a while, mostly because I have been pre-occupied with the Asphyx reissues and new album. Amon Amarth I listened to hell of a lot prior to Bloodstock and their Cardiff gig in October; I remain of the opinion that it's a more consistent album that 'With Odin On Our Side' but with less stand out tracks.

Other 2008 releases that I have listened consitently this year include Capricorns, Unearthly Trance, Portrait, AC/DC and Satyricon. Some of the others I don't think I have listened to for maybe 12 months such as 'Death Magnetic', 'Watershed' and 'Eternal Kingdom'. Must revisit these in early 2010!

As often happens, I discovered an album in 2009 that came out in 2008 which would have been my album of the year had I got it when it came out! The album in question is 'The Peaceful Dead' by Dawn of Winter and I WORSHIP IT!



Pop back for the 2009 top 20 list probably between xmas and new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment