Tuesday 19 January 2010

This week's playlist

This week I unearthed a real gem in the form of IRONSWORD's self-titled debut from 2002. While I have blasted the later two Ironsword albums to death I hadn't picked up the first album on Miskatonic until now and it's killer! True metal as it was meant to be from these Portuguese warriors. Complete early Manowar/Manilla Road worship with almost Hellhammer style simple riffing. I would really recommend checking this out (http://www.myspace.com/officialironsword).


Also on the decks 'Among Beggars and Thieves' by FALCONER. While still worth of a listen, their early stuff is a tad on the medieval minstrel cheesy side. This latest effort is more stripped down but the vocals remain as clear as always and a more melancholic edge is on display, pushing this more towards Slough Feg territory than the earlier folky Rhapsody-esque style. Maybe not as good as 'Northwind' but still a great album. Expect to hear the song 'Fields of Sorrow' at the next Into The Void night!

One band I have never got into much was ENSLAVED. I have revisted them this week by listening to 'Below The Lights', 'Isa' and 'Ruun' on repeat and I certainly "get it" more than I did last time I played these albums. They certainly have their own style going on and while maybe not as groundbreaking as some claim, these are still quality albums with a unique sound. I still have 'Vertebrae' to go and am saving that for a big session next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment